Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Anthony Bourdain, The Pacific Coast, Full Sail Amber Ale, Waterfalls, and a new JOB

a post from melenie:

So excited that our friend Rich flew out here to visit us from philly...it was a dope week. We took a day trip to the coast and hopped on Highway 101. It was such a scenic drive...we enjoyed the beach, the sites, and the trees.....hehe. LOTS of TREES.

I interviewed for this really decent teaching gig at a school only blocks from my house. Right after the interview, Rich and I went Downtown to Powell's bookstore to scope out some new reads. As he was paying at the register, I glanced outside and saw Anthony Bourdain smoking a cigarette in front of the store!! I ran out and introduced myself....this is how the conversation went.....



Me: Sup Tony Bourdain? What the hell are you doing in Portland?

Bourdain: (He looks scared, then he smiles) Well, we're shootin for the series. Checkin out the scene. (he's looking at me like I'm some alien and I continue to speak in a speedy and overly excited voice)

Me: Dude, you're like a rock star. My husband and I love your show. I have to ask....How in the hell did you eat LIVE octopus, I mean, was it swirling around in your mouth? My husband and I just watched your show (taped) in Korea, and I have to say...you've got balls. Pardon me.

Bourdain: well, the tentacles do stick to your throat as you swallow.

Me: Is it cool if I take a pic of us with my corny cell phone? I mean, do you, like, have time, I'm sorry am I keeping you?

Bourdain: (looking at me like he's thinking of when he should make a run for it) No, it's cool, I'm just smokin a cigarette. No problem.

Me: Well, thanks dude. Safe travels. Have you been to Thailand yet? I have family there. (I kept rambling about stupid shit for like a full minute, embarassing myself)

Bourdain: Yeah, we were there last season. Thanks.

Me: OK...so...goodluck. We shook hands and he walked towards the door....I was walking to the door as well and he stopped and shot me that look that said, ( I think she's a stalker, god I hope this crazy woman doesn't follow me)

Rich walked out of the door and I attacked him with my excitedness. He now is convinced that I'm insane. It was fun. Pauly was so pissed that he didn't get the chance to meet him. I'm such a nerd. Anyways, for those of you who never saw the Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations show on the Travel Channel, peep it on Monday nights at 10 pm. It's decent.

Anyhow, I got the job offer the following day so it was a good week for me...FINALLY. We had such a great time with Richie. P and I will be posting new pics soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mel, ur such a groupie. lol! kidding..i mean dork! now he's gonna tell the scouting folks and production crew that portland has "some crazy friendly folks with accents similar to philly?". congrats on the new job, hope it works out for the BEST!

Anonymous said...

okaaaay, ur all up in his ear! lol. no wonder he was uneasy...

Anonymous said...

I can just see him looking at you like some sort of crazy girl. But, that's what makes you you and that's why I love ya. Keep insane girl and teach my how to be when I get out there.

Anonymous said...

He really does smoke ... ??? thought those were his props :-Þ

... love the way his travel show ditches cruise ship towns.

Melaine, so now that we know the real you ... you need to come to Ojai ... we have lots of celebrities to stalk!